Author Photo Specifications
aka How to help us make you look good!
Please read these instructions completely before you send your photo!
Okay, you’re coming to Bouchercon 2017 in Toronto (good choice!) and your head shot is going to be next to your profile in the program book. That means we need a great photo of you! Once you have that, though, there’s a bit more you need to know in order to look your best on the page.
If you downloaded a photo when you registered, we are sorry, but you’ll have to send us another. Unfortunately, the quality of the downloaded photos is not good enough for printing in the program.
The following are specifications you need to know. (If you have any questions, just ask!):
- Your photo should be at least 2 megabytes (MB) in size, but not larger than 10MB. A photo that is too small will not look good on the printed page. Generally photos pulled from the internet won’t be successful in print.
- Please DO NOT send photos from your phone. Most phone email programs reduce the resolution of the photo and make them impossible for print. If you send your photo using your cell phone, the file size will almost certainly be reduced automatically.
- Several authors have had trouble because of their mail program being set to “automatically reduce file sizes” for things like photos. Please make sure that option is turned off.
- Please send photos in colour, if at all possible.
- Photos must be received in digital format.
- Accepted file formats are .jpg, .tif, or .psd ONLY.
- Please use your author name as the photo title (e.g., Joe Smith.jpg) and include your author name in the subject line of the email you use to send the photo to us (e.g., Bouchercon author photo for Joe Smith).
All author photos should be sent to email@example.com
We will confirm receipt of your photo within seven days. If you don’t hear from us after that, please contact us.
Please enter your own bio information yourself. Here’s the directions for updating your registration information.
If you have any questions about our instructions or concerns about your author photo, please consult with Rick Blechta at the above email address, or call (416) 782-3116 during business hours. (Toronto is in the Eastern (Daylight Savings) Time Zone.)
One last thing:
Please send us some sort of head shot! Nothing looks worse (or more amateurish) than having a gray box where your smiling visage should be in the program.