To all who braved the blank page, climbed over your writer’s block, and submitted a story our upcoming anthology, Thank You!
Due to the high quality of submissions, the judges had a tough time whittling down the selections. But now all acceptance and rejection letters have been sent out. Whew!
Here is the list of authors who will be represented in the anthology, Passport to Murder.
If you have ANY questions or concerns, PLEASE email our Anthology intake volunteer directly.
Our theme is the convention theme—Passport to Murder—so include a travel theme with actual travel or the desire to travel with or without passports. And it must include at least a strong suggestion of murder or a plan to commit murder…All crime sub-genres welcome.
Publication date: October 12, 2017.
(Bouchercon 2017’s anthology, Passport to Murder will be available for pre-order in the summer of 2017. Details will be posted on Twitter/Facebook/this page with details as they become available.)
Editor: John McFetridge
Publisher: Down & Out Books
All stories, by all authors, will be donated to the anthology as part of the overall donation to our literacy charity fundraising efforts. All profits from the anthology (including those of the publisher) will be donated to our charity.
Guests of Honour for Bouchercon 2017 will be invited to contribute to the anthology.
For open submissions, preliminary selection for publication will be blind, by a panel of three judges, with final, blind selection by the editor.
- The story must include travel and at least a strong suggestion of murder or a plot to commit murder
- Story length: a maximum of 5,000 words
- Electronic submissions only
- Formatting requirements:
- .DOC format, preferably double-spaced
- Times New Roman or similar font (12 point)
- Paragraph indent 0.5 inch (or 1.25 cm). Do not use tabs or space bar to create the indents
- Include story title and page number in document header
- Maximum of one entry per author
- Open to writers who have been previously published, in any format, and those who have never been published
- The story itself must not have been previously published in ANY format, electronic or print.
- Please remove your name or any identifying marks from your story. Any story that can be associated with the author will either be returned for correction (if there is time) or disqualified
- After Bouchercon 2017 and Down & Out Books expenses have been recovered, all proceeds will be donated to Bouchercon 2017’s literacy charity of choice
- Copyright will remain with the authors
- Authors must be prepared to sign a contract with Down & Out Books
- Submissions had to be e-mailed no later than 11:59 P.M (EST) January 31, 2017.
- All authors will be advised of the status of their submission on or before April 15, 2017.
 No author should be identifiable to our judging panel. Nothing should be done to compromise the ability of the judges to judge blindly. This includes but is not restricted to:
- inclusion of your name in the body of your story,
- use of characters from previously published books or stories,
- publicizing the name of your story on your website or online.
The penalty for compromising blind judging will be disqualification of the story.